Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Various points of interest . . . and such . . .

Medical school is going to be so much fun.
Well, I guess I shouldn't be so blatantly sarcastic. I mean, I have set up a pretty nice routine for myself. Thursdays I teach my organ class, and occasionally a meeting beforehand to coordinate those of us who currently play in sacrament meeting, Tuesdays I hang with the Heathen, and what time I have left I usually spend talking on the phone to various members of my family (but always Sarah) because I can't focus when Mike is not home.
I'll need to think of another routine for when Mondays get taken out of the picture.
Major things that have happened recently:
-Mike is on a leave of absence from the temple right now. He is now considered a regular patron, because his study load was too heavy and the long shift on Saturday was taking its toll. He's prayed about it a lot, and decided the best thing to do right now was focus on his schoolwork so he can secure us a future (and the 1 1/2 hour session is a lot less time out of your day than the 6 hour shift). I've been praying a lot to know that he's doing the right thing, and I'm okay with it now. There are just a lot of traumatic changes going on recently.
-Mike also officially is quitting his library job today. Dr. Seeley (his biomechanics prof last semester) offered him a research job in his lab, because they got the funding they had been looking for, but they can only pay him for a month's worth. But again, after much prayer and faith, we've decided that it's better for him to get this experience to put on his application for medical school, and once the paid month is up, his hours in the lab will be fewer and he can find another job, hopefully TA-ing. In all likelihood, he will be jobless for about a month and a half until spring term starts, and I'll be the only source of income. It's not like we won't be able to survive (I make enough to live on, trust me) but I guess it's just a preclude to our completely destitute days in the future. The difference now is that we're still completely debt-free, which means that no matter what happens, our consciences are clear. That will not be the case in a couple of years.
On a lighter note, January was obscenely warm this year, and February seems to be following in its footsteps. I wore a light jacket to church on Sunday. Seriously.
Classes are not eating my life nearly as much as I anticipated. By far my hardest one is probably my poetry class, and he only expects two good poems out of us this whole semester. In fact, I have to turn in poems for my first workshop (which will happen next Tuesday) tomorrow, and I haven't figured out the poem yet. Ew.
Mike's having a bit of a hard time so far, probably because he bit off more than he could chew this semester, and starting to realize it. Hence the leave of absence and quitting the job for his research position instead of just adding them together. I hope having more time makes a difference.

2 comments:

We are Jared, Amy and Spencer. said...

Good luck to both of you! Things have a way of working out for Mike so I think these sacrifices will be worth it. Take Care! -Amy

Mom said...

We continue to pray for you and Mike to have the rewards your efforts have earned. You will be blessed and we know he will do well. Love to both of you!
Mom W