Friday, July 20, 2012

Birthday Post (I'm having title-block today, guys.)

Okay, I'm gonna be straight with you. I don't have any pictures this week. So if you're one of those readers who's just looking for pictures of Katie, sorry. You'll have to come back next time.

That DOES NOT mean it was a bad week. Quite the contrary (unless you're my weight loss thermometer OF SCIENCE!) Wanna know why? Well, I bet you all already know. But still, it was my BIRTHDAY!! Woohoo! as Katie would say. (Though it usually applies to bubbles, chalk, and nursery in her case.)

Here's how it went: I unfortunately had my birthday on Tuesday. Yeah, lame, right? Well, maybe not! First, Mike woke me up ABSURDLY early because he made me breakfast in bed. It was a pancake shaped like a B with chocolate chips in the holes. Go ahead, say it. "Awwwwwww . . . "

Unfortunately, Katie has taken to waking up at ridiculous hours of the morning and then NOT SNUGGLING ME BACK TO SLEEP. Can you tell I'm offended?

Side note: sorry for all the caps lock this week. There are days when I'm just overly emotive, okay?

Anyways, it was okay that Katie didn't go back to sleep because I got all sugared up from the pancake. So then, Mike went to work, and my day was . . . the same. Until approx. 3:45 pm, when my mom came to man the fort while Katie took her nap and I went to the movies with the sibs. We saw Pirates: Band of Misfits in 3D. It was, well, eh. There were a couple really funny parts, and of course the animation was good (it was the Wallace and Gromit people). But really, not exactly top form. But still, I wasn't cleaning up or changing diapers, was I?

So after the movie, I find that there has been a changing of the guard and I have to drive the children and the giant suburban back to their house, where Mike will come pick me up. This turns out to be favorable because Mike dropped Katie off with my mom again so that we could go to Carino's. (Yummy.)

We then retrieved our child and went home for birthday cake and presents, then stayed up late watching Mirror Mirror because I got it for my birthday. (What? I'm a sucker for fairy tales, all right?)

Overall, a good day. Katie wasn't even that much of a booger. But I did learn a few lessons from this:

  • Birthdays once you're the mommy just aren't the same. But I hear it gets better when you have over-affectionate school-age kids instead of just toddlers.
  • My days of sleeping in ever are officially gone for good.
  • You can't have high expectations just because of a filmmaker's past. Pirates: Band of Misfits wasn't that great a movie. 
  • Katie is nuts for birthday cake. Between the cake we had last time we had dinner at my parents', the GIANT cupcake my visiting teachers brought me (I took a picture but I'm too lazy to go get my camera), and the birthday cake Mike made me (thank heaven I bought cake mixes), Katie has really gotten a taste for them. The first thing she said when she woke me up this morning was "Happy Birthday! Happy birthday cake?" As if telling me happy birthday meant she got more cake. Geez, how old is this kid?
So, a very successful day, I think. But now I have to be super super productive. See, we're going out of town tomorrow to visit Mike's family for a WHOLE WEEK! We're so excited we're like little hyperactive puppies. Especially Katie. (But for her it's quite literal, as she spends a significant amount of the day on hands and knees, panting and saying "mommy? Play puppies?") (Except for when she wants to play cows and moo and pretend to chew grass.) (Whose kid is this anyhow?)

But I have discovered that if I want to have the kind of vacation where we don't have a plan or stress about anything, my house has to be absolutely, meticulously, obsessive-compulsively clean. So I've spent this whole week (except Tuesday) cleaning. And today I have to do laundry, pack, clean out the fridge, and vacuum right before Katie goes to bed. If I vacuum before that, she'll mess it up, and if I wait until after, I'll wake her up. Tricky, eh? 

Oh man, I'm excited for tomorrow. I'll probably sleep in the car. A lot. Happy birthday, everybody!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brittany-YOU are adorable! Luv MomM