Monday, February 4, 2013

Holy cow, I'm going to have to keep two boys in (relatively) clean clothing.

Remember that one time how I'm going to be adding some twin boys to my family quite shortly? Well, things are starting to feel slightly more real. Mostly because holy catfish, it's February. And also "modified bed rest" starts tomorrow.

But to help me feel slightly more prepared (at least as far as gear goes) for this rather emotional experience I'm about to have, my mom sisters and my bestie from high school threw me a baby shower this weekend. (Thanks, Lexi and Mom and Sarah and Emma! You're the best!)

(Also, in case you read my blog, Dakin and Laura and Kelsey and whoever else is involved, you're spectacular for wanting to throw me a shower for our ward. I was really stressing about how to invite our ward to a party with all my mom's friends and mine from high school and trying to, you know, talk to everybody and stuff.)

And because there are two little boys coming that are probably going to act like they're related to their sister, the theme of my mom's party was Dr. Seuss, as in Thing 1 and Thing 2 (which is quite appropriate if you've met Katie, don't you think?)
These were raspberry cupcakes with cream cheese frosting (dyed blue, of course). I think I probably will die if I don't get that recipe from my mom.






These are the real reason everyone came to the shower. Lexi's mom's magical caramel/chocolate dipped pretzels. Mmmmmmmmmm.


This is the diaper cake my Aunt Tookie made.  Those are flowers and such made out of baby socks. Isn't she the coolest person you've ever heard of?
I know, not that flattering of a picture of me, but somebody forgot to take posed pictures of everyone. And this perfectly showcases where I was stuck the whole time and Katie's big sister throne.

The punkin in her natural habitat--being read to by various aunties.
Well, that's how it looked. It was quite an enjoyable afternoon. Katie and I probably ate WAY too much sugar in gorging ourselves on cupcakes and pretzels and grinch punch (ice cream and lemon/lime soda and other various delicious things.)

Speaking of Katie, she was probably the best floor show anybody could ask for. Before we opened presents and everybody was playing a game (Tookie brought some games about famous twins and duos and things that come in pairs) Katie was dancing around the room singing to herself. And I don't know about you, but I never get bored of that.

But the fun really began when we started opening presents. She'd bring one over to me and start ripping the packaging off before I had a chance to check the card or tag to see who it was from. Then she'd pull something out, say, "Oh, it's for the baby brothers!" and chuck it violently at Sarah and Emma, who were in charge of managing where Katie violently chucked things. I think there were some near misses when it came to teethers and other hard things.

Meanwhile, Mike got to rent a man movie he had really wanted to see and sit on the couch and not have to take care of his crazy-needy pregnant wife or slightly-needy two-year-old. You're welcome, darling.

The best part of the shower was seeing all the people who got to come. Lots of people from my parents' ward came (awesome!) and Mike's sister Chelsey, and two of my friends from high school who are total psychos and thought it would be a good idea to open up this weird commercial we made for our speech class when we were fourteen. Thanks a lot, Lexi and Anne. Love you guys.

Long story short, it was a fantastic shower with fun people and adorable treats and my mom way over-stressed and should deserve a medal. Also her slaves, Sarah and Emma, who as soon as they kicked the boys out of the house helped her frantically clean the house and peel eggs for the green eggs and ham and frost cupcakes and whatever else was demanded of them and were just overall fantastic. And we got lots of cute boy things and I feel slightly better about my boys not having to go naked their whole lives. Because I knew that with the three newborn-sized onesies that were our total inventory last week, I'd have to do laundry six times a day. And now Mike will let me go shopping. Yay!

Now, because I've done the whole baby shower thing (you're welcome, Mom and Cynthia), I'm going to back-track and talk about life (Katie) since last time I blogged. Feel free to tune out if that's all you were waiting for and are totally bored of me.

As I recall, we left off with the snow day and her birthday, right? Well, not much has changed. I'm less mobile than I've ever been in my life, which means that if we ever leave the house, it's to go to my mom's house and sit on her couch instead of mine. And I'm pretty sure that will even be taken off the list soon. So Katie spends a lot of time using her imagination. (During church yesterday, she was down on the floor looking through the diaper bag for a story or some goldfish, and got distracted making her boots talk to each other.)

Oh, and the last couple of weeks Katie has been fighting a super nasty cold, so for a couple of days she was as laid up as I was and we sat around watching Barbie movies all day. Okay, so we still just sit around watching movies all day, but it's mostly when she's tired and wants to snuggle me and watch the horsey movie (Tangled) or the superhero movie (Incredibles). And oh boy am I sick of Barbie. Auntie Emma, can you go put them back in your storage please? Katie loves them a little bit too much and now I'm worried for her IQ. We don't want them.

Most of our days= twirling in her red riding hood dress and playing the piano.


This last one is of "Dr. Katie" checking on the baby brothers. She talks about them all the time. "Mommy and Daddy go to the hospital and the doctor will get baby brothers out! And I will come to the hospital too and put on their diapers and wrap them up and play with their feet!" I feel good about this monologue. The only part we've had to talk to her about is that she's going to hang out with Grandma when we go to the hospital, and then she'll come see us after the doctor gets the babies out. She has been quite interested in doctors recently (what with Daddy going to be a doctor) and thought she was going to help at first. I think we've cleared that up.

Now all I need is to make some of these and our preparations will be about there:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh....since I was actually named in this post, I guess "THANK YOU" is in order! Looks like a good time was had by all. Cynthia

Anonymous said...

Can I just say WOW!!! Your mom knows how to throw a shower! Luv you! MomM