Friday, June 13, 2014

Vacation Post #1 - Relatively Speaking

Hey y'all. See? I said I was going to be posting sometimes while on vacation. And now I am. Aren't you lucky? I even have adorable pictures.

Anyhow, the first leg of our trip is almost over (sniff sniff!). Thursday (May 29) we had a crazy, loud, exhausting trip through O'Hare, Minneapolis, and Sea-Tac, and finally got to Mike's parents' house in the middle of the night. The next day, we just lounged. Mike and I did some grocery shopping, we all took naps, and the boys started getting used to Grammy. I think they were doing pretty well. I'm optimistic about their getting used to their house next time rather quickly.





Then, on Saturday, May 31, we drove. And drove. And drove. And drove some more. And actually, it went rather well. The kids were really happy and good, slept in the car, and didn't throw any huge meltdowns. We had picnics at rest areas and stopped at about a million and a half potties. We ate way too much chocolate and definitely should have been better hydrated. And it was fantastic.
We got into Boise in the evening on Saturday, and we were planning to just go straight to the farm to sleep. And we told my mom that. But as we got closer to the turn off where we had to decide whether to go the farm or to go to my parents' house, Mike said, "Wouldn't it be fun to surprise your mom? Maybe we should." So we did. And she was quite happy. I think we got her all emotional thinking she had to wait to see us.


We've been staying at the farm with my grandparents, sometimes staying here to swim and other times spending the day at my mom's house, which is more accessible to, you know, aunts and uncles and shopping and such. Gram and Papa have been SO fantastic about letting us stay with them and . . . maybe a little bit trash their house with child paraphernalia. But you know what? I'd rather have a trashed house and a lot of child paraphernalia than no children. They're pretty fantastic. And also really, really cute.

The first week was full of a lot of people, because last Sunday, my beautiful sister Sarah gave her farewell talk for her mission. She gave a beautiful talk about binding up others' wounds, which my mom recorded and transcribed for Sarah's blog here. We had both sets of grandparents, about forty million cousins, and all kinds of baked goods for the weekend, and then had an open house on my parents' front lawn Sunday afternoon for everyone to come say goodbye to Sarah.

Luckily, while everyone was here (including all of my siblings), we got ourselves all gussied up and got a photographer. Don't worry, I'll post those pictures as soon as we get them. But holy stink, the ones I've seen are so beautiful and sweet. I sure have a good lookin' family.
Sarah the soon-to-be sister missionary

Fortunately for you, I have also remembered to take a few pictures. They may be amateurish, but they are still cute.

"Laughing Candid"




If any of us get famous and make it to magazine covers, it will be Emma.

Chillin' out, maxin', relaxin' all cool . . .




Yes, that is me in Sarah's sunglasses.

Emma, being the only relative I have who can tan, was trying to tan . . . but Sarah decided to thwart her.

Katie showin' us how it's done!

Uncle Parker trying to be as awesome as Katie
  



Sarah's open-house!

"Quick, Josh, turn the page! My solo's coming up!"

And Monday we're driving back to Seattle. We've had a couple of crazy, sleep-deprived, party weeks, full of going to the movies without babies (!!!!!!), eating tasty food, goofing off with relatives, taking pictures, swimming, and having a really great time. Hoo baby, am I tired. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog again! Fun Fun!!! Great pictures!!! Beautiful family! Megan