Friday, April 29, 2011

Graduation! (Holy cow!)

Oh, April. I thought you would never come.

But, fortunately, you did. And I graduated. Probably 3rd down on the "coolest things I've ever done" list. (1st and 2nd are marrying Mike and having a Katie.)

You know what's especially funny? Mike did this "running start" thing where he went to community college concurrent enrollment instead of his junior and senior years of high school, so he'd never been to a graduation ceremony before (9th grade commencement doesn't count). So he was super funny about all the rules and the ceremony and the goofy outfits and everything. It was great.

Several things I noted during this big 'ole graduation situation.

#1 - Most parents of new college graduates are almost as bad of drivers as women's conference participants. No offense to either of you. You just make my life horrible with your driving because I live on campus.

#2 - Leis somehow became a BYU graduation tradition. How did a bunch of landlocked white kids get this way? Oh, wait. Most of our football team is Polynesian. Their fault? We'll find out.

#3 - I saw only one person during the entire weekend who got the white collar thing right that they give to girls to wear. And I don't know how she did it.

#4 - When they say "wear a low heel," first of all, people don't listen. Second, they aren't kidding. I hate wearing heels in that ridiculous Marriott Center. The seats and stairs there give me vertigo.

#5 - No matter how inconvenient some people were during the weekend, it was fantastic. I really accomplished something tangible and real, that I can show people and that really means something. I did it.

Three levels of adulthood I have achieved:

Find a spouse? Check.

Be a parent? Check.

Get a college degree? Awesomely, amazingly check.

Yup, I'm a grown-up now.

5 comments:

Aunt Jennifer said...

You're a cute grown up! And, I'm super proud of you for your accomplishment and the awesome example you are for all of your cousins!

Crystal said...

You are so cute!! I love the pictures on FB. :)

Anonymous said...

We were so grateful we could be there to celebrate with you & Mike & Katie & your mom & Hanna, & Kliss & Brett the next day. It was a wonderful weekend!!!MomM

Anonymous said...

BTW I totally love this picture!!!

Cynthia said...

I love you, grown up lady.