Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Conference, Coughing, and Cat Jokes!

Before we get to the silliness, I have to put in a plug. This weekend was very well timed, because all three of my kids (and probably my husband) were sick all weekend with a really nasty cough and cold. I'm amazed that I came out of it unscathed. (Not that they would let me be sick anyway . . .)

Want to know why it was perfectly timed? Because there was no nursery to miss. It was Conference! (Yay!)

Twice a year, the entire church (all over the world!) gets together (via internet or broadcast or something) to watch General Conference, where there are five two-hour sessions (I know, that's a lot. It's worth it.) in which the prophet, the apostles, and various other leaders of the church speak to us on any topic they feel we need to hear. It's amazing. One thing that I really love is that the leaders of the church are unafraid to expound the gospel without being influenced by popular opinion. They tell it like it is. And it helps me to be strengthened and not be moved in my own beliefs.

And the older I get, the more I feel I am able to come to conference with the right attitude and spirit so that I feel as though they are talking directly to me, telling me exactly what I need to hear to bring me closer to the Lord. This was definitely the case this time.

In case you didn't get to watch it and are interested, here are a few of my favorite talks (these are the video clips, but you can find the transcribed talks there, too).

Come, Join With Us, by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Do We Know What We Have? By Sister Carole M. Stephens

Look Ahead and Believe, by Elder Edward Dube

Like a Broken Vessel, by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland (Warning: I cried during this one.)

No Other Gods, by Elder Dallin H. Oaks

Power in the Priesthood, by Elder Neil L. Anderson

Okay, I have to stop before I link to the entire conference. If you go to one link, you can find the rest of it. Please do. It is wonderful.

Now, just a few funny Katie quotes this week.

Mike: Where do we keep the cereal?
Katie: In the hamster! You know, that door over there!

Me: Eek! Joshy is a nudie brother!
Katie: Eek! Hahah, Joshy is a noodle brother! Noodle brother, noodle brother!

Katie: (measuring my head and arms and such) Okay, Mommy. I think you have two arms.

Me: (To the tune of the Spiderman song) Sandwiches, sandwiches! Time to make some sandwiches!
Katie: Look out! Here come the sandwiches!

Oh, you still don't think she's hilarious? Well, here's a video I caught at the pumpkin patch last week. You're going to die.


Final note: I want to know if my comments are working. I'm going to set them to moderation again (because I know it didn't work the other way) and I want you to comment. If you watched conference, give me your favorite quote (or quotes). If you didn't or can't think of a favorite, tell me a joke I can teach to Katie (she wants to expand her repertoire). Ready, set, go!

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

I liked Elder Ballard's talk. :)

Sarah said...

Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith

Anonymous said...

El Oaks "mans laws cannot make God's laws change!
Also LOVED that El Holland addressed depression as a real thing!!!