Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Gospel-Singing Clouds and Rather-Lost Wallets


Yes, I said it. I was a gospel-singing cloud. It is beautiful. Last night was the giant Spring Sing for my stake, in which each ward puts on a little mini-musical thing, and ours was Hercules. It was pretty fantastic. There were seven Muses (I was not one, though I rather wanted to be...) one Hercules, 0ne Meg, one Zeuz, one Hades, and myriad scenery, such as trees, clouds (me!), some pillars, and several guys trying to be a mountain. Yeah, not quite sure how that worked.
So, the Muses tell the story about how Herc went to BYU and met this girl that he really liked, then got ready to serve a mission. We then discover (with some very carefully placed dialogue) that Meg doesn't appreciate this. She wants him to stay with her. Rather unsupportive girlfriend, if you ask me. However, all is fixed with a rather disjointed version of "Go the Distance/I won't say I'm in Love" in which there is a furious battle of the sexes and the scenery all begins to dance across the stage with ribbons...yeah, that was fun. Herc then has to make his decision, all the while some sock puppets representing Zeus and Hades are on his shoulder: Hades, "You don't want to go on a mission! She's a hottie!" Zeus, "REMEMBER" (while reading that line, imagine Mufasa's voice saying that--for any that know John Bomsta, imagine him with harry potter glasses with a beard attached, in a toga. yeah). He decides to go on a mission, but 6 months in, gets a Dear John. As he rips it up, all the scenery cheers, then it gets kind of awkward, then we begin to sing a stirring rendition of "a Star is Born". It was the production of the century, I tell you. I'm pretty sure ours was the best one. The weirdest one (don't tell anybody) was this ward that had the Lion King, and there was no story line. It was them singing African music and songs from Lion King while dancing around in brown clothing with serious face paint and incredibly ratted hair. I don't know how they're expecting their hair to be any kind of normal this morning.
There were a lot of skits about dances and RM's getting engaged. It was great.
So, the night was an overall success, full of great marvels and lots of reveling in ridiculous BYU jokes. Well, it was great until about midnight last night, when I was packing my bag for this morning right before I went to bed, and realized I had not my wallet. I have been to every lost and found on campus, asked the girl that I got a ride home with to check her car, and stared blankly at every nook and cranny in my rather-too-clean apartment. I'm slightly panicked and depressed right now. Luckily, I still have a wonderful supply of dried potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and rice. Good solid college food, to keep me going while stuck without any of my personal effects. Pray for me.

No comments: