Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"When nice ain't so nice"

So, I think that I read a really great essay today. I want to be that amazing. It was called "when nice ain't so nice" by Elouise Bell, who is awesome. It was how it was an incredibly different thing to be good than it is to be nice. She actually proved very scientifically how being "nice" is usually just a cover-up for either cruelty or incompetence, and being nice is only good if you really mean to be nice, not to just hide your real opinions. Say what you mean to say outright, and be real and blunt. She said that "True self" has been hidden by culture's need for the "Fake self". Nice should not be a substitute for competence. She referenced a poem called "On flunking a nice boy out of school" by John Ciardi, which I loved.
"It's three months work I want, and I'd sooner have it/ from the brassiest lumpkin in pimpledom, but have it/ than all these martyred repentances from you."

In other news, my hair is really short. I had a very windblown haircut on the sidewalk the other day when my mom just kind of whipped out her scissors and evened out a couple of places that Brooke had missed or done kind of weird. It was kind of funny. My downstairs neighbors probably think I'm crazy.
I have a lot of jelly beans on my bed. It makes me really happy.
I also think that my parent bought me WAY too many groceries. My dad kept saying "oh, she needs this." "oh, let's get her some of this" and thus, it doesn't even fit in my apartment. I now have a very full refrigerator, closet, even under my bed. It's truly ridiculous. Truly.
However, I won't complain, as they were free (yes!). Now I just need to figure out how the heck I'm going to pay for my next housing payment, which is both my last winter one, and my first spring one. It's kind of bad.

No comments: