Saturday, May 10, 2008

Piece: Part II

Matthew straightened his dark black jacket as he stood up, walked to the lectern. The stand in the old church building was covered in white roses and lilies, purple lilacs, and tiny Queen Anne’s Lace, her favorite flowers. In front of the podium was a silver-framed photo of a young girl, her curled hair swept up behind her, her green eyes glistening.

He cleared his throat as he reached the microphone. “If there’s one thing I know, it’s that my sister Elisabeth was the sweetest, most kind-hearted, and the smartest girl I’ve ever known. She was brave yet calm, strong yet gentle, and wise yet humble. My whole life I’ve tried to be just like her, to be able to stand next to her proudly for my father, but she was always just one step ahead.” His choking began to become outright sobs. Several very loud sniffles were heard from the few front rows, where all the doting aunts and grandmothers of the neighborhood took up residence. Their netted hats shook with their quiet crying.

Matthew stood there for a few minutes in silence, his head bowed low. I can’t do this, he thought bitterly. How could they ask me to do this, when he’s sitting right here? He could feel all the impatient neighbors’ eyes looking at him expectantly, swallowed his tears, and stood up straight. He stared directly at the back of the chapel, avoiding anyone’s gaze as he finished the speech he had previously memorized.

“All I know is that she’d better be in paradise, ‘cause if she’s not, then I’m going to Hell too.” A few of the more prudish old women gasped slightly, then resumed crying as Matthew stepped down. He stood back, staring out into the audience for a few seconds, just to get his balance. His eyes finally focused as he noticed a dark figure on the last row get up and leave. His eyebrows narrowed, but he walked calmly to his seat in the front row and sat down, his fists clenched, slow tears leaking down his cheeks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I'm the first post! Actually I was just checking to see if you'd posted any more than what you'd sent me, but I see you haven't...but that's okay, I'll let it slide. :) Looks great! Is this slightly improved from the first time you sent it over? You're awesome! Now write more! :)

Bailey said...

I'm hooked already!!! I have a feeling it's going to be an amazingly mooshy and romantic love story and you know how much I love those!!! And I know how much you love those too... It has quite an air of mystery to it as well which is always exciting, so you need to give me more!!! It's great so far though!!!

Anonymous said...

Brittany!!! wow, i like the sound of this story already. As Bailey said, it sounds like an amazingly mosshy, romantic love story and you know how much I love those too! please write more and post it fast K? p.s. you should come back and visit Boise...I miss you

Unknown said...

I like the details--again just enough to get the feel of the scene. I like how you jump (or crash) right into the story because as a reader you already have all these questions you have to have answered! I like the element of mystery and the description of the old ladies! I guess I'm dense or something but I wasn't really picking up the mooshy romance...but I wouldn't mind if there was some romance--it adds drama. And Amy would love it ;)