Saturday, July 26, 2008

Things I have learned while backpacking in the mountains

#1-- Although Hannah has recently acquired sports-induced asthma and was wearing three different braces on her knees and ankle, it does NOT mean that it is easier to keep up with her. That woman is a beast, seriously.

#2-- Just because you're hiking in the mountains in July doesn't mean that you won't need your snowshoes.

#3--Don't ever blame your father just because he made you learn how to set up a tent properly. It WILL happen. Seriously.

#4--When backpacking, a well-stocked First Aid kit is ALWAYS worth the extra weight.

*Note: My hand is fine. I cut it up pretty badly when I fell on the EXTREMELY steep, muddy, and very rocky trail STRAIGHT down the mountain, but now it's already becoming really sweet battle scars. No worries.

#5--When backpacking in the morning (as in, you woke up early to do it...and didn't go to bed very early the night before...) it IS acceptable to take a siesta...that may or may not have lasted 2 1/2 hours...

#6--Giant Pine Beetles CAN and WILL spit on you if you so inhumanely pick them up by their antennae and irritate them.

#7--When you blaze your own trail to the top of the mountain ridge (and we seriously did, I'm not kidding!) it is absolutely necessary to take every opportunity to stand on rocks and take adventurous looking pictures.

#8--It is quite possible for your friends, no matter how cute they really are, to remind you of Kermit the Frog once in a while. (I love you, Lexi!)

#9--When everybody else goes into the lake and swims around in it, despite the cold wind, it is perfectly acceptable to stay on shore in your nice warm sneakers and sweatshirt. While they freeze. Mahaha.

#10--When there is cherry preserve topping to slather it with, even instant cheesecake made with powdered milk and a sugarless crust tastes absolutely delicious!

#11--Eating fresh lake-fish that had just been foil cooked in a fire will NOT kill you (but it still will taste like fish. GROSS).

*Note: Nonny claimed that it was very important for her to document this occasion, to prove to my dad that I had ACTUALLY done it. Seriously. I did. It was gross.

#12--Fish = Gross. Seriously.

#13--When your mother packs you giant glow sticks that are conveniently colored red and blue, it is absolutely necessary to have an epic light saber battle in the darkened tent, much to the amusement of your next door neighbors.
(Seriously, we pulled them out of the wrapper, broke them and shook them, and Nonny immediately said, "Oooh, I get to be Anakin!" in her cheerleader voice. Only a Whiting girl would think of Star Wars FIRST).

#14--Backpacking straight up a mountain is FAR more enjoyable when done sporting a funky hairdo.

#15--Sometimes, you just gotta face it and pull your inhaler out of your backpack.
I love you Nonny!!!

#16--Sometimes, you just gotta scale a rock.
"It's like spending a year as an Amish--you just gotta make some butter! You just GOTTA climb a mountain!" --Julianna :)

#17--Happiness = "Steve's Cafe, Location 8300 ft."
Okay, so there are other things that are a lot happier. Such as the fact that Mike is coming to see me again on Friday!!! Hurray!!!! *dance in a circle just because you can, oh yeah!*
But seriously, you have no idea how happy I was to have real food. Seriously. Sun Chips = yummy.

#18--No matter how far away from your brothers you are, or how dead your light sabers have become, you can never completely avoid Star Wars.
Yeah, it's the Death Star. I'm not even kidding.
But I got really good reception as long as we were next to it...

That's all for today's show. Thanks for watching.
*Author's note: I will post my next installation of the piece tomorrow night. My fingers are kinda tired right now. I will MAKE SURE to get it done before Mike gets here. Definitely.
And this new part? Never been read by anyone but me. Not even Nicole or anybody. Seriously. It's AWESOME. Okay, so just more character introduction, but who cares? :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Brittany I miss you soooo much! I love how you turned your camping trip into a fun and funny read! We need to hang out! Soon!

Lol glad your summer is going so well. Can't wait to read the next part. *hint hint*