Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Piece: Part VIII

**AUTHOR'S NOTE** I know what you're all thinking. You're thinking, "geez, Britt, how long does it take to get situated back in your parents' house? I mean, seriously!" And you know what? You're right. Absolutely right. I'm being ridiculous.
This particular section is not particularly exciting, it just comprises of my standard exposition and introducing another main character. Since I don't imagine it being as dramatic and riveting as the entire rest of it so far (yeah, this is definitely a first draft, it might go slower later in the process), I want you all to comment on your first impressions of this character so I can get a yea/nay on her before I keep going--I'm getting to that lovely point where I have to start twining together and making it a real story. Seriously.
And thanks for all your angry comments. Seriously, guys. I love you too. :) PS-I'll post pics of our Portland vacation later, after I have appeased the angry story vampires. *cough, cough, AMY, cough* :)**
**OH! I just thought of something. Because I KNOW that some of you are going to get the wrong impression and judge her in a stereotype *cough cough AMY AGAIN cough*, Maya is NOT the love interest. I haven't even decided on how that's going to happen yet. So there.**


“Matthew? You gotta wake up, kid.”
He grunted and rolled over, but heard the heavy, determined footsteps walk around the bed and yank the blinds open. Matthew groaned and squinted and pulled the blankets over his head. Two long, thin hands yanked them off his head and he looked up into a woman’s thin, wrinkled, and freckled face.
“Get up, kid,” she demanded. He groaned and rolled to the edge of the bed, swung his feet over, and tried to get up, only resulting in his closing his eyes and falling backwards again. She pulled his arms until he was standing on his own, his eyes still drowsy. He looked her square in the face, held her shoulders, and shook his head.
“That’s it, you’re fired,” he growled in his morning voice. “How did you get in? Did you break any windows?” She just laughed a low, throaty laugh that matched the deepness of her eyes and her short, spiky haircut. Maya had been his friend for years, but he had never given her a key.
“I’ve been coming here for as long as you’ve lived here,” she countered. “Geez, kid, I probably know your doorman better than you do.” She was already digging through his closet and pulling out socks of different colors, comparing them to his two pairs of dress pants. “Raphael just let me up.”
“Remind me to talk to the landlord,” Matthew muttered as he went into the bathroom. Maya stood in the doorway as he shaved and combed through his hair, an impatient look on her face. When he finished, she threw his coat and laptop bag into his hands and stormed toward the door.
“Come on, Sleeping Beauty,” she demanded. “I don’t want to be blamed when you get fired.” She tromped down the hallway to the elevator and stood next to it, arms folded, eyebrows raised, foot tapping. “Let’s go!”

1 comment:

Koey said...

Hey Britt! (this is nicole, by the way)
So good job on this section of the piece! Dialogue is fantastic as usual. You asked for first impressions. I'd say Maya seems like a strong woman who knows what she wants and usually gets it. She seems like she sort of looks after Matthew, but I don't quite understand (yet) what their relationship is. Sounds professional to me, based on the use of the word "fired" twice. Also, I'm having a hard time picturing her age. You mentioned that she had short spiky gray hair and that her face was wrinkled. Does this mean she is rather elderly but still "with it?" Interesting addition, can't wait to read more!