Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Piece: Part VI

*Author's NOte* I'm making this a Tuesday thing now. Every Tuesday, there will be an installment of my piece. But I want opinions. If you read it, tell me what you think. All of you. *

“That was the stupidest thing you have ever done.”

Ethan slowly opened his eyes and turned his head to see the doorway, where Matthew stood with his hands behind his back.

“And I know some pretty stupid things you’ve done,” Matthew continued. Ethan relaxed a little when he saw that the tiny smile lingering on his friend’s face. Matthew was having trouble hiding his relief, still remembering how he had felt when the nurses had come out to him in the waiting room to tell him that his friend would pull through. He noticed the tray of mostly-eaten jello, half a turkey sandwich, and an untouched salad sitting next to the bed. “Well, you’ve been able to eat. Guess you weren’t as lost as you thought,” he chuckled.

Ethan blushed sheepishly. “Listen, Matt, I’m really sorry. I…I mean, that was really stupid.” He lowered his eyes. “I loved your sister, but it’s not worth going to hell for.” He let his head hang, not daring to look up at his friend. Matthew just looked at him, his face expressionless.

“No, Ethan, it’s not,” he finally agreed. He sighed loudly and ran a hand through his hair. “Listen, I just stopped in to see how you were doing, but I have a meeting I have to get to. Looks like you’re doing just fine,” he eyed the baseball game running on the television, “so I’m just going to go. See you tomorrow?”

“Yeah, sure,” Ethan slowly raised his head and looked up at the game, watching Colorado cream Los Angeles. Matthew left silently, knowing that he wouldn’t get any more from him. He went straight over to the nursing station and gave the older woman behind the desk a questioning look. She smiled knowingly and shook her head.

“Compared to most attempted suicides, he’s pretty happy. I don’t see what would have made him want to kill himself,” the nurse looked back at Ethan’s room with a perplexed look. She shook her head and looked back down at the paperwork in her hands. “Well, at least he’ll bounce back okay.”

Matthew smiled. “Yeah, sure, he’ll be fine. Thanks for all your help.” He walked slowly away from the desk and toward the elevator.

The freeway was a mess on the way home. He sat in line behind a guy in a giant diesel-fueled pickup as traffic inched past an accident involving a semi and a three-car pileup. The paramedics were darting around, the firemen trying to find ways to get the victims out of the burning cars. Matthew could see several stretchers that had bodies on them, sheets pulled over their heads. To the side of the accident, a young-ish looking woman with dyed blonde hair sobbed uncontrollably into the shoulder of a young, very uncomfortable-looking police officer. The man looked as young as Matthew, yet still had to be a part of such a tragedy. You and me both, man, Matthew thought bitterly. As he finally got past the accident and down the off-ramp, he shook his head and tried to forget it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can i just say that your segments are just long enough to really get us wanting more info. why must you tease us so? Where are you going with this story? And do you have to keep naming purgatory? Maybe it is just me, but i still feel a jolt when i read that.

Rebecca said...

"All of you." Hmmm, apparently this means me. :)

Coming out of lurkdom to say -- you've got me well hooked. Actually, the very first post had me completely sucked in, and now I not-so-patiently await each new installment. I must say, I agree with your mom -- really, why must you tease us so? Each week, just barely enough to whet my appetite all over again, and then it's over. It's just cruel. :)

Koey said...

Very nicely done, Britt! I anxiously await the next part. Oh, and here's your "constructive compliment" for this part: your dialogue is really very well written. I hate when people write dialogue and it sounds so fake, or when people (*shudder*) say their thoughts out loud. But your dialogue is very colloquial and flows like a normal conversation. Good use of punctuation to show off pauses and breathing too. :) Oh, and this is indeed Nicole, by the way, in case you couldn't figure it out.

Unknown said...

Honestly, I think this is one of the best parts yet. The dialogue is natural and everything flows nicely. I'm definitely excited for more character developement. I also feel the teasing and am having a hard time waiting for each segment. But I'm glad you're home!!!!!!!