Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Do you ever get tired of the looks of vast confusion on people's faces when you try to explain your poststructuralist papers to them?

I'm actually quite impressed by Mike's ability to comprehend my rough description of Derrida's argument in Structure, Sign and Play. Although I think I spent more time talking abjection like Kristeva . . .
So yesterday in my Psychology 111 class (I know - I'm seriously in like a quarter of the class that's not Freshmen) we were discussing Freud, and we were just hitting the part about Freudian slips when someone made a comment about last week's lecture on homosexuality, and my teacher said something about the two camps, those who consider themselves "pro-tolerance," and the "rabid anti-sexuals." I will admit, I chuckled. It was quite appropriate for the times. I'm not saying I hold to Freud and think that Dr. South has some deep-seated issue, but it was pretty funny.
I have quite an affinity for Regina Spektor today. Particularly her songs "The Call" and "Samson." Also Ingrid Michaelson's "The Chain."
As you can probably tell, my thoughts are a little scrambled tonight. I'm writing two very large papers. One, for my 314 class (which is forcing me to think critically about Great Expectations . . . blegh) is on the Victorian Feminine Ideal (i.e. Coventry Patmore's "Angel in the House") and its devastating effect on our dear Miss Havisham, and I'm not particularly involved in it. It's like a glorified version of those assembly-line papers I used to write in high school. Just 15 pages longer and with more elevated vocabulary and lofty-sounding sources. The other, however, is going to be titled "Black Mothers: the Doubly-Abject." Doesn't that just sound delicious? I'm so excited! I began when we read The Feminine Mystique and Hansberry's A Raisin in the Sun, and I started to wonder: if the constructed ideal for mothers and wives was so destructive to the psyche of middle-class white women, what could it possibly have done to black women, who already faced such impossible expectations by not only white society, but their male counterparts as well? Oh man, let me tell you. My research has been SO fun. I have a giant pile of library books on our rocking chair, and I've already invested in some of the books that I totally love and can justify buying because they were like 4 bucks on Amazon. :)
That's my life right now.
Oh! Right now I'm listening to "I want you to" by Weezer. Let's add that to the list of approved songs. Kind of off of the general mood of the others, but still appropriate, somehow.

3 comments:

Mom W said...

okay, I must admit that sitting here reading your blog, I must have that general look of "vast confusion" that you see on people's faces. I have no idea what most of that blog was about, but I am curious what you have discovered in your research. You silly married mormon feminist. Go give Mike a hug! And then ask him to give you one back. I love you both!! Speaking of married...did you hear that Spencer is getting married in December?

Mom said...

sorry for the repetitiveness of my last comment. I must...I must... I must tell you that you are awesome and I am buried in Nutcracker costumes!

Sarah Lita said...

You need to update your pictures. We haven't seen anything new!
i love you tons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can't wait to see you on thanksgiving!!!!!!!!
ps can you please please please please x10000000 mail the percy jackson books back! i just finished #1 and i cant wait 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!