Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Heavens, no. No no no.

The subject of this article is cougar fans of Twilight. And I don't mean BYU students.
I'm going to let the article do the rest of the talking.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/11/16/older.twilight.fans/index.html
Okay, I lied. I'm going to talk about it. But only briefly.
Now, there is a significant difference between reading the books, liking the books, and having racy fantasies about the books and indulging them.
We talked about it in my 365 class today, just because we were all disgusted with the people who are slobbering over the New Moon premier tomorrow. It seems one girl in my class went on a date to Olive Garden, and there was a long table full of women in their mid- to late-40's, talking about Twilight . . . and they had a full-sized cardboard cuttout of Robert Pattinson (Edward) with them, talking to it as if they were having dinner with him.
I understand needing an outlet, but sometimes it gets a little excessive. No, that's a lie. The teen and twenty-something girls whose relationships are ruined because of the impossible expectations they have gained as a result of Twilight are excessive. 40- and 50- something women who become drooling, lustful fans of Twilight are just plain creepy.

3 comments:

Mom W said...

Hannah's english teacher told me that the twilight books are written at a 4th grade level!

GooDad said...

The Twilight books really aren't all that bad. I read all four of them just to see what all the fuss was about. I'm sure I'm one of the few males whom has read them, and I'm a typical male reader: Vince Flynn, John Grisham, David Baldacci, Tom Clancy. And so on. The Twilight story is interesting, the action is often edge-of-your-seat, and the characters are surprisingly deep. Haven't seen the second one yet, but unfortunately the first movie was very poorly done. On the series in general, hurray for creativity and success.

Anonymous said...

Eating dinner with a life size cut out of Edward is seriously crazy too me. If I happened upon the chance I would love to eat dinner with my own real hubby though. He can be as mysterious as Edward!! Mom M