Sunday, April 20, 2008

"Did you know..."

So there's this guy on Heather's and my Sunday crew at work that has a slight mental handicap, so much that his social skills are almost nil, but you can't really tell that he's handicapped. When I first found that he was handicapped, I said, "oh, I didn't know that," and certain stupid friends of mine said, "what, you just thought he was stupid?" and didn't speak to me for a few days. Needless to say, those friends are the stupid ones.
Either way, Jeph (yes, that's how you spell his name), has some interesting conversation strategies. The first thing he'll say to you, no fail, after he knows your name, is "are you married?" Let's use Heather for example. She hadn't associated with him before, and had to work Salad backup with him because, frankly, he didn't know what he was doing. Here's their conversation (condensed):
Jeph: Are you married?
Heather: No, I'm still a freshman, I think I've got some time.
Jeph: Are you offended?
Heather: No, I'm not offended, that's just a weird thing to say to people when you've never talked to them before.
Jeph: I think it's an appropriate thing to say at BYU, I mean, most girls are married after about two months.
Heather: No... (I don't remember how she said she explained it, but she did)
--Enter second girl to help with Salad Backup--
Jeph: Are you married?
Heather: (laughing really hard)
Jeph: What's so funny?
Heather: Well, I just told you that that was a really weird thing to say to people, but you said it anyways!
Jeph: (confused...)
Anyways, that's the gist of their conversation. It was rather amusing. We also discovered that girls only go on missions at BYU because they're not married yet, and he couldn't fathom that Heather wasn't going to go just because she didn't think she wanted to, not because she was engaged. He also couldn't understand that I wanted to go on a mission, not just as a backup plan, and that I didn't really plan on getting married right away (especially that I was almost nineteen and didn't have a serious boyfriend yet...). Yeah, fun day at work.
And I've grown to really hate the MTC. It'll probably lighten up before Tuesday, when I work again.
OH AND GUESS WHAT!!!
Anybody here that is going on a mission or will go on a mission, check your food before you eat it! Today we were serving Chicken Cordon Bleu for lunch, and usually that's my favorite meal at the MTC, but there was something wrong with the timers on the big ovens and Conrad was the only chef in the kitchens (they only serve one option at a time so they only have to employ one chef at a time on sundays), so he was kind of busy and most of the pans of cordon bleus didn't get cooked all the way through. Several different missionaries brought us their plates and showed us the raw chicken meat that they had been served, so we spent the rest of lunch shift panicking about giving the missionaries food poisoning and getting the rest of the pans cooked. Needless to say, as soon as we told Conrad about this, he made sure that there were very slightly burnt edges before he gave us the pan. We were paranoid.
PS--SISTER DOUGHERTY IS IN THE MTC!!!!! Everybody that had her as a sunday school teacher, she's going on a mission! She's leaving next week for Charleston, South Carolina! I saw her today! It's so exciting!!!!
Well, those are my antics for today. Now I'm going to go finish a ten page research paper on bibliophagy, or book-eating, like literally. I'm being completely serious.

No comments: