Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Valentine's Day Happiness

Can I just say, my first Valentine's Day being married was the best Valentine's Day ever? This is how our day was. Just thought I'd make you all jealous.
So Friday night when we got home from classes, there were a dozen red roses on the table. APPARENTLY, his boss let him leave work for a while to go hunt down some flowers for me, so they were there when we got home even thought I THOUGHT we were both on campus all day long. Can you say cushy job? So can I :) (I know, I know, I'm one to talk. We're all having lunch tomorrow instead of working...) and that night was our ward Valentine's dance, which was super fun--and the "Sing for your Sweethearts" boys sang "kiss the girl" and made Joe and Stephanie roll around the gym in a trash can "boat" while they sang. It was pretty funny, and we all had a great time dancing the night away :)
I knew he had all of Saturday planned, even though I didn't know what the plan was, so I took advantage of his sleep deprivation and very sneakily got out of bed before him on Saturday morning, made some yummy cheesy scrambled eggs and toast and hot cocoa and woke him up with breakfast in bed. I don't think it was really a surprise, but he'd never had breakfast in bed before, so I totally got some points. And then he proceeded to totally skunk me in the points. Seriously.
After breakfast, we got all pretty and tried to go with the ward to the 10:20 session at the temple, but we totally just barely missed it and we went to the 10:40 session. Can you think of a better way to start the day? I can't. It was AWESOME.
After we left the temple, we went home to get into play clothes (who wants to be wearing a skirt during a snowstorm? NOT ME) and Mike casually suggested we go to Zupa's for lunch, where I had the best "ultimate grilled cheese" I've ever had in my life! (Zupa's does soup, salad, and paninis, if you're not familiar). It was SO TASTY.
And then was the surprise part. He handed me the directions from Google maps, but it had the name of the destination all taken off, so I just knew the street numbers, not where we were going, and it turned out we were going to the ART MUSEUM!! Yay!!! It was so much fun.
*Most exciting part of that adventure: while we were wandering around the museum, there was a little exhibit up in the soviet art (the exciting stuff) that had a ring box and a long-stemmed rose, and the placard said "this ring was given by -------- to -------- on February 14, 2009 to propose marriage for time and all eternity." !!!!!!!! And when we were leaving, we totally saw them! He was totally nervous, and she was totally unsuspecting! It was so cute!! I'm so happy for them!!!
Anyways, I'm already married, and my husband's WAY cuter than hers, so we're moving on...
Then we went home to take a nap, because we'd been up for a while, and totally crashed. When we slept through our alarm, Mike looked all disappointed, and when I asked what was wrong, he said that we "might have slept through our reservations at Macaroni Grill"...so we jumped up, got ready, and we were there by 7, and they gave us the reservations still, even though it was crazy busy, which was good, because if we hadn't had reservations, it was a 2-hour wait...!!!
So then we had the BEST meal ever. Seriously. The waiter was one of the best we've had, and the food was SO good. Mike had his first ever real Italian Soda, and he totally loved it. It was kind of funny-- he was like a little kid :)
So when we got home, he suggested we watch a movie, and I was contemplating what to watch when he announced that he had also picked up (when rose-hunting) a box of strawberries to use our chocolate fondue kit with, and my favorite chick-flick ever! Pride and Prejudice! (I already had the long one, so he got the 2005 version) And we had strawberries and watched it! And it was so fun!
Can you say best Valentine's day EVER? :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brittany,
WOW you win the prize for best Valentine's Day EVER!!! Thanks for sharing it, even if it makes the rest of us a bit jealous!!!!

We are Jared, Amy and Spencer. said...

Wow, Mike sure went the extra mile. I always knew that being the only boy with five sisters would bless his future wife. Hope your doing well!

Unknown said...

That sound super cute...for you at least. I quite enjoyed my Valentine's day as a single person. I got to go skiing with some cute boys so that was pretty nice. For me anyway... ;)