Friday, April 17, 2009

Hmmmm, Mac Lab....hmmm....

So, in taking my CHUM 230 class, (for anyone who doesn't know...okay, so nobody really knows...I just found this out myself...It's "computers and the humanities") I spent a BILLION hours in the Mac Lab on campus so I could use InDesign, Photoshop, Quark, etc. And I am continuing to do so during finals week in order that I might finish my horrid portfolio (really, it's just taking all the assignments and publication designs we've already made, printing them out again, making a cover page, and turning it in). So I been thinkin'. 
I want a mac. That's not a secret. I only have my lovely (cough cough) hp laptop because my accountant father and engineer grandfather picked it out without me. Not that I'm complaining-it would be a lot more painful if I had to do ALL my homework on campus-and it's a really nice laptop-I just really wish that they'd let me get a mac. I don't really need all the excel and math programs and whatever. I only use this one for word and the internet. So I can blog and reach out to all you lovely people. And occasionally do boring stuff like register for classes and check my grades. I'm totally kidding. 
But I realized today, that if I end up becoming an editor (which is the whole plan with the whole English major and editing minor thing) and taking jobs at home (which is also the goal--so I can be a mom and put my husband through med school at the same time) then I would need a mac to do all my editing and publishing stuff. And it's fine, Mike already promised me that when one of our computers dies our next one can be a mac.
Problem: my teacher said that if we wanted to get the adobe suite (all the publishing programs that are good) then it's a LOT cheaper (we're talking hundreds of dollars) to get it when we're students. 
HMMMMMMMMMMM....
Just some thoughts for the day. It hasn't been really that exciting. Except that it's Super-Sexy Friday. See, all the professor that I work with and most other people dress up during the week and then get to be casual on fridays. Well, Mike and I wear jeans and sneakers all the time. So we decided that Fridays would be dress-up days for us. So I actually did my hair, and Mike wore slacks and a dress polo and stuff. And we looked really good, but it makes Mike look way old. It's weird. :)

No comments: