Thursday, April 30, 2009

Spring? Is in the air?

Yeah. That's what I said. So the last week of everything was great, we both finished our classes well, and I think Mike got a 4.0 this semester. Fantastic. And, I was wearing capris and short sleeves all week, practically sweating my face off because it was so warm and summer-y. 
And then it snowed. Weird, huh? I can't really complain about it because it's back to being yummy outside. 
And then school started again. Ugh. Mike's been rubbing it in my face, reading fun books like the Count of Monte Cristo and making me feel all...studious...ugh. 
But I guess it's not so  bad. The lovely thing about spring semester is that I have three (okay, so really two and a half) classes which is 6.5 credit hours, and I only have to go to one class a day (the half a class is HEPE, which is the basic GE Health credit and it's only half a credit and it's entirely online). So really, I'm totally relaxed now, too. And my classes are great!
My first class this term was English 345, Literature and Film. Yes, it's as awesome as it sounds. We're going to read Turn of the Screw by Henry James, Pinnochio, Shane by Jack Schaeffer, Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate Dicamillo, and The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseinni and watch the film adaptations of them. It's focused on how film has become a medium that is overpowering that of books, and especially how when you adapt a text into a film, you use different modes of capturing your audience. For example, in Pride and Prejudice, you are taught in the novel to hate Mr. Darcy and think him incredibly proud and snotty through the first half of the book, and then it's a wonderful revelation to think you were wrong, whereas you can't hate Colin Firth. It's just not in you. He's just too cute. So the filmmakers have to think of different ways to make him interesting. In that particular version, you see a lot more of his side of the story than you do in the book, which can be good or bad. 
My other class is French 202, which is hard because our teacher is an actual French woman and her French sounds like French and isn't slow and American enough to pick apart, but it's fun because we're studying actual French literature and history instead of just conjugating verbs. I'm excited :)
That's what I'm doing. Oh yeah, and I've been deathly ill the last couple of days. Yesterday I had a fever of 101. But now I'm fine. And that's all it was, a fever and headache. Mike made me stay home from work again today because I was still kind of achy this morning, but I don't have a fever anymore and my headache is mostly gone. It came and went really fast. Weird. 
WHY DO I KEEP GETTING SICK THIS YEAR?!?!?!!?!? It's minorly frustrating. 
But it's springtime, and there are flowers outside, and everything is beautiful and warm and my neck is sunburned, and the little Asian boys get to play baseball outside for five hours a day without their mother yelling at them to wear a jacket (they've played baseball all day, every day since the snow melted mid-january.) I'm happy. 

No comments: