Tuesday, May 5, 2009

J'ai decouvert que le travail n'est pas une pique-nique!

No, work is no longer a party. I officially have to actually do stuff now. 
But there's something funny attached--even with all the crazy errands I do, I still don't work as much as Mike (only partially because I'm part-time and a student while he works 40 hours a week). He has, like, eight jobs because all his bosses thought he had nothing to do so they gave him more jobs. So he's a crazy person. 
And the other day, the library sent him an email asking him to fill out a survey about student employment at the library...so I wrote that he works more than me and my starting wage was more than his is now, after working there since LAST march. Teehee!
In other news, school progresses. We finished our first book in my literature and film class, the Turn of the Screw by Henry James. So, it's about this governess who goes out to a country house to care for some guy's orphaned niece and nephew because he wants absolutely nothing to do with them, where she discovers that their previous governess and the other guy's valet had been having an elicit affair before they both mysteriously died, and she sees their ghosts. She thinks the kids are seeing them too, even being possessed by them, but no one else will admit to their existence at all. There's really no plot. Just ambiguity. We never know if the kids really were possessed or if the governess was just bonkers. 
So today we watched a film adaptation made in the '50's or '60's, called The Innocents, with Deborah Kerr as the crazy governess. Admittedly, my film teacher says that this is one of the few versions that maintains ambiguity without actually telling us that the teacher is crazy or no, but I thought she was a little off myself. Maybe Ms. Kerr was just a little overenthusiastic. And the kids were dang creepy. I was creeped out. Seriously. 
ALSO. Mike has officially been eaten by Alexandre Dumas' the Count of Monte Cristo. My favorite book, but seriously. I haven't spoken to him in three hours now. And I finished my homework two hours ago. I'm not exaggerating. Okay maybe a little bit. But mostly not! He wanted to read it this summer while he's not in school because I love it and talk about it all the time, but now he's been eaten. I think it's cute. I interject things like "I'm hungry" or "guess what? This and this about my french homework" and sometimes he looks up and says "oh no! so-and-so died!" or "i love you!" Just to remind me that he's still here. Other than that, he and Edmond have forgotten that I exist. Yay for reading for fun! I'm so jealous . . . 
That's the current report. Thanks for watching. 
OH! And we're going to Boise next week to escape the Provo monster . . . and because my sisters' ballet concert is that weekend and I haven't seen Sarah dance officially in way too long. I'm pretty excited. Thanks Whiting parents for letting us use your house as a cheap vacation from school and stress! You're awesome!
The only other vacation plans we have are for the last couple weeks in August, between Summer and Fall terms. My boss, when we were discussing my schedule this spring, told me that she would be out of town some of those weeks, and that they would *hint hint* be optimal time for me to take off as well, since she's kind of the brain of our operation. (my words, not hers. She's way to nice to admit that :). So . . . we're planning on escaping the non-air conditioned utah heat and making our way to Seattle to visit the Morgans! . . . if you're reading this, would that be okay? :) We're not sure on dates yet, but I am quite anticipating getting a cold from the humidity. I always do. It's kind of weird. But I imagine it will be much nicer than a sunburn down here where our apartment will be an oven all summer. :)
Okay. THIS is our report. Now I'm really done. 

2 comments:

Mike said...

Hey, it's not my fault that the books you recommend are ridiculously good :)

JenniferB said...

Britt -- you are hilarious and I love you! Have a great spring and summer. Anna will be with Karena June 11 through 14/15 -- maybe you can look them up?