Monday, May 11, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

This weekend was AWESOME.
Friday: did I mention that May 8 is the one-year anniversary of Mike's and my first date? And we've already been married for 4 1/2 months . . . but I think I already said that. So we went to a baseball game against UNLV, and it was the second-to-last home game of the regular season (the last one was Saturday afternoon). We were all nervous because so far, every BYU baseball game we've been to we've lost, and Mike and I have started to get a bad luck complex about going to games . . . but we won! It was 7 to 4 so we didn't even have to play the bottom of the ninth! It was super fun. We snuck in some Reese's Pieces and wrapped up in blankets (it wasn't as warm as last year). We were almost in the top of the bleachers, and right behind us was a family with six kids, mostly boys, and they were having so much fun! Dad kept missing whole innings to get mountains of nachos and hotdogs, and mom was singing what sounded like joyschool songs with the ones who were too little to care about baseball. They were awesome! It made me want to have kids so I can take them to a baseball game . . .
Well, Saturday was a pretty good day, too. Mike and I went to the temple in the morning and did a whole bunch of initiatory for our family names (yay!) and it was awesome. Then we went home, washed sheets and had lunch, and then I went and used almost our last gift card money to get a new shower curtain (it's very cute, and white this time, so it totally opens up our bathroom) and a cord for our phone. . . but the phone still doesn't exactly work. See, we got a hand-me-down one from my parents, so first we had to get our own cord, and then it also wasn't the right base. It came from a set they used to have, and the one we got was the one that doesn't have the answering machine, it's just the extra extension. So we can get calls (at least it worked when we tried with our cell phones) . . . but we can't call anybody. oh well. We still have a few dollars to target. Maybe we'll just go get a new one or something.
Anyways . . . so then, we went to the Macaroni Grill, because Sunday was Mother's Day, and as Brother Heywood says, if you don't treat your wife like she was born with a divine motherhood and celebrate mother's day even before she has children, then that's just lazy! (I thought it was really funny when he said that.) But anyways, we went out for dinner, and it was super yummy, and we still think that Macaroni Grill makes the best Italian cream sodas. MMmmmmm.
After that, we went to the indoor/outdoor movie at the Wilk (basically, they show a movie in the ballroom and everyone brings blankets and pillows to sit on the floor.) It was Muppets from Space, and we laughed a ton! I'm pretty sure we laughed more than anybody else there . . . I guess we were just in the right moods . . .
Then, for dessert, we had a dream come true (no, the Italian sodas were part of the meal -- they don't count!) I don't know if I've ever told you guys this, but I've ALWAYS wanted to be a "regular" somewhere--you know, where you walk in and say "the usual" and they know what you're talking about? Well, Mike and I go to the Malt Shoppe all the time after we go to the temple, just because you have to get a treat after the temple, it's part of the rules! And the spiky-haired guy at the drive-in window makes the BEST milk shakes ever!!! So we went on Saturday night after the movie (we just postponed our temple treat until nighttime) and we pulled up and he said "hey guys!" and we were like, no way. We're regulars. He said "I must be doing something right, because you keep coming back!" and we're like "we love these milk shakes!" Maybe next time we'll ask him what his name is so we don't have to just call him spiky-hair guy . . .
Sunday at church was fun, too. That's when Matt Heywood told all the guys that they were lazy if they didn't celebrate mother's day :) The talks in sacrament meeting were really good, even if they were last minute . . .oh! that's another funny story. So, Mike's the assistant executive secretary, which means he's in charge of asking people to say prayers and getting all the people that are talking and the hymns and putting the program together on Saturday afternoons, and then the executive secretary prints it at the church on Sunday morning. So Mike got all the hymns, prayers, and speakers and sent the file to Todd on Saturday, but on Sunday, Todd was printing and passing the program out right before the meeting started, and he and the two members of the bishopric were speaking instead of the people they'd told Mike before. I guess there was some miscommunication between everybody or a mistake or something, because they weren't even there. It was kind of funny, but the talks were really good for being last minute. Bishop also asked a couple sisters to come bear their testimonies.
Not much else exciting happened (besides really good meetings) until after Relief Society. I was playing the piano, because Rachel was out of town, and I was playing postlude, when Renata told everybody not to leave because something was going to happen. So I kept playing postlude. After a couple of hymns, we all got filed out to the gym (our building's really weird and the RS room opens into the gym) where all the men and primary kids were holding red roses and they sang "I Often Go Walking" and gave us flowers. It was SUPER cute. One of the little boys (I think he's 3?) got to hold his mom's rose, but it broke, so he handed it to her upside down and snapped in half. But it was enthusiastic all the same! I loved it :)
When I called my mom that afternoon, she was super excited to talk to me (I think) but then I got passed on to my Dad and then Sarah, and I talked to her the most until she got "nagged to dinner". They were all at Grandma's house having a barbecue. We just ate leftover Macaroni grill.
That's my weekend. I don't have any funny jokes, but this post has been hecka-long and you're probably tired of me by now if you didn't give up and quit reading several paragraphs ago. :) Peace out!

4 comments:

Mom said...

i was super excited to talk to you for mother's day. You are proof that i didn't mess up totally. :-) Sorry you got passed around so much. It was crazy with Trevor falling off the hay stack and Sam runnning who knows where and Hannah and McKenzie being hyper and Alec and Parker poking there heads in periodically to see if dinner was ready or the strawberries were unguarded. It was a good day after all and Dad got me a giant freezer! (I almost get killed helping get it off Grandma's truck, so dad could save $120 in delivery charges, but it is impressive! AND you and Mike sure know how to live!! What a great weekend!

Britt said...

um. . . i may have cheated and already knew you were getting a giant freezer . . . maybe . . .

Aunt Jennifer said...

Sounds like you did have a fabulous "mom's day" Britt! What a great weekend -- and I say just keep calling him Spiky Hair Dude -- it's the fun of it all that counts! :)

mom said...

Well, the freezer is pretty cool even if it means we need to seriouly clean out the garage to get it to fit and still park the cars in there. :-) Dad is always glad to throw things out, though.

I feel all spoiled getting to talk to you so much this week. :-)